Thursday, December 7, 2023

No Procrastination!

At FF and BSM's school, each class has an in-school birthday celebration for the kids born that month. The birthday kids bring in chips, juice and cheap party-favors, and presumably the class sings happy birthday or some-such.

In FF's class, the teacher asked the parents waaaaay in the beginning of the year to also prepare a brief slideshow about the birthday boy. This is a lovely idea, and I supported it whole-heartedly. You see where this is going, I'm sure. Naturally, within days of the teacher's announcement, I had forgotten all about the slideshow. 

Luckily, FF started nudging me to make a slideshow over a month before his birthday. I was slowly easing from maternity leave back to work, so I had the time. 

The two of us sat down, planned what he wanted to include, and chose photos. I typed it up. FF animated, with help from BSM. This process took hours, over the course of a few days. I forgot about the slideshow again.

Then a mother from FF's class called me earlier this week. She told me that FF and her son are the only kids with birthdays this month, and her son's birthday was the next day. Would I mind terribly celebrating on such short notice? The teacher had told her it might be an imposition on me, because making a slideshow in one evening is a bit much to ask?

Well! Well, well, well! Kol HaKavod to FF for not procrastinating! I am still aglow with pride. 

FF and I did a quick check of the slideshow, which he had very carefully left open on his computer for the past month. With FF's blessing, I deleted a some extra animations FF had experimented with and not taken out. I sent a link to the teacher, and we were ready! 

(The other mother sent her husband to buy chips and one bottle of juice that night; Husbinator had bought party favors on sale not too long ago, knowing we'd need them eventually; and we even had a bottle of juice in the pantry.)

Seriously. I am so, so proud of FF. 

No comments:

Post a Comment