Sunday, October 15, 2023

Routine

Luckily the boys decided to sleep in the bomb shelter again last night, and we let them, even though they are more apt to pull shenanigans in the shelter than in their rooms. 

A bit after the last of the boys fell asleep, the red alert siren went off. Husbinator and I grabbed the baby and went to the shelter. A minute later we heard the standard muffled booms, and then we heard a BIG boom.

I checked my phone. Nothing on my local ladies' WhatsApp groups. Nothing on official Telegram channels. I checked again. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. 

Finally, a solid 3 - 4 minutes after the boom, my groups began the Same Exact Conversation we have every single time there's a siren. 

(Actually, we skipped the "OMG sirens!" And " Why didn't I hear it?" "Why didn't my app go off?" stages. I think we haven't had that part of the conversation for a few days, now: maybe people are figuring it out?)

But sure enough, my chats filled up with the same pointless posts that go up every time:
Whoa, is everyone OK? 
That was really loud. 
Loud. 
Yeah, crazy loud. 
So loud!!! 
Hit or interception? 
Open area. 
Whyyyyyy? 
Where did it hit? 
NO, DON'T SAY WHERE IT LANDED! 
Who can I contact to install a shelter door? 

I did not know that I craved the comfort of this routine. Yes, everyone thought it was loud. No, it's not just us. As inane as the conversation is, it is good to know that we are not alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment